Language Skills


English skills

For a degree course that is mainly in English, student applicants who have not obtained their academic qualification at an 'English-language institution' or who are not English native speakers must prove sufficient fluency in English. The following language certificates are accepted:

a) Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) Internet-based Test (IBT) with a
Result of at least 90 points,
b) IELTS test with a score of at least 5.5,
c) Cambridge Test Certificate in Advanced English (CAE),
d) First Certificate in English (FCE) with a grade of at least B,
e) a certificate of English language skills at level B2 of the "Common
European Framework of Reference of Language (GeR)".
Such evidence is provided, for example, by a German Abitur certificate, showing that English
has been constantly taken as a subject and passed with the grade of "sufficient" up to the end of the qualification level 1 (grade 11 at G8-Abitur, otherwise Grade 12)
f) Placement test of the RWTH Language Center with the level B2 (MK 7).

We accept 'English-language institutions' from the following countries: Australia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, the United States of America.

Language Certificates are submitted during the enrollment.

German skills

International students enrolled in this Master degree program are obliged to take German Language Courses at the RWTH Aachen University Language Center equivalent to 8 CP at minimum and show proof of their German language proficiency latest at the end of their study program in order to achieve the Master degree. Exempted from this rule are those international students who have already proof of German Language skills at Level B1 (or better) and can present an according document to the examination board for recognition.

The mandatory German language course requirement of 8 CP does not hold for students whose mother language is German or who have gained their study qualification or a first university degree in a study program taught in German at a German institution.