Admission and Requirements
In general, the Master degree course "Electrical Engineering, Information Technology and Computer Engineering" underlies open admission. Currently there is no limited number of student places, i.e. there is no Numerus Clausus (NC). Nevertheless, the degree course has limited access, i.e. that different requirements have to be proven, which are defined in the respective examination regulations (PO).
- an initial university degree according to the General Examination Regulation pursuant to Article 3, paragraph 4
- professional admission requirements
- language skills in English (and German at the end of the study program)
- The Graduate record Examination (GRE) for applicants who are not nationals of a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area (EEA), or if they completed their schooling career elsewhere than in Germany.
Because of these admission requirements, besides the application at RWTH Aachen, an examination of the professional suitability tested by Examination Board of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology is necessary.
Please note that the application procedures differ depending on the respective target group!
After expiry of the respective deadlines the Master selection committee will meet. This committee which consists of professors and teaching assistants from the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology decides on whether and to which extent the subject requirements are fulfilled.
The following decisions are possible:
- If the subject requirements are fulfilled, this committee will determine the technical qualification and recommend the applicant's admission to the Examination Board. A direct admission to the Master course of study will be pronounced.
- If the subject requirements cannot be fulfilled in each single area, the selection committee, however, comes to the conclusion that a conditional technical qualification is given, an admission under certain conditions can be recommended. In this case, based on the study contents completed within the previous degree, it is checked whether by fulfilling certain conditions (attending lectures and taking examinations from the Bachelor's degree program "Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, and Computer Engineering") during the Master studies, a rise of the level of qualification to RWTH Bachelor's level can be achieved. Proof of the knowledge related to the condition must be given before registering for the Master thesis. The nature and extent of these conditions will be individually determined by the Examination Board, based on the recommendation of the Master selection committee.
- If the admission requirements cannot be fulfilled in any area or are not met in core areas in a striking way, the Master selection committee will come to the conclusion that the technical qualification for the Master's degree program "Electrical Engineering, Information Technology and Computer Engineering" is not given. The Examination Board will pronounce a rejection.
Duration of the admission check
After expiration of the respective application deadline, the review of the admission requirements can take up to 6 weeks, depending on the number of applications even a little longer. The admission or rejection letter will be sent either by the Registrar's Office or by the International Office as soon as possible.
Thank you for your comprehension. Inquiries about the application status may have an additional delaying effect.