You will also find many answers in the documents in our download area of the Master ET, IT, TI.


FAQs regarding Electrical Engineering, Information Technology & Computer Engineering (M.Sc.)

How many credit points must I earn in the module groups CORE and ELECTIVE?

Depending on your study profile, you have to earn 40 credit points in total by absolving the courses from catalogue CORE and ELECTIVE.

By choosing the study profile Electrical Power Engineering (EPEN), you have to earn 20 credits points each - for catalogue CORE as well as for catalogue ELECTIVE.

The other study profiles such as Communications Engineering (COMM), Computer Engineering (COMP), Micro- and Nanoelectronics (MINA), Biomedical Systems Engineering (BMSE) and Systems and Automation (SYAT) will be rewarded with 16 credit points in catalogue CORE and 24 credits points in catalogue ELECTIVE.

Do I have to complete the module "Scientific Integrity"?

All Master's students who have taken up their studies from the winter semester 2020/21 onwards are obliged to successfully complete the module "Scientific Integrity". Master students who enrolled before winter semester 2020/21 do not have to take the module module, but we recommend all Master students to take this online course. 

The course is a prerequisite for the admission of the master thesis and is offered via a recurring RWTHmoodle learning room. It contains all content (slides, videos, literature) in both German and English. Registration is done via the corresponding RWTHonline course. A "final failure" is not intended

I would like to withdraw from an examination. What do I have to do?

It is possible to withdraw from an examination until three working days before the examination on RWTHonline. There is NO automatic re-registration. So you have to re-register yourself if you want to take the exam at a later date!

A detailed guide to cancelling exam registrations can be found in the RWTHonline docu portal.

Further information on registration cancellation and withdrawal can be found on the related page of the Central Examination Office.

In the list of official announcements you will find the legally binding examination regulations for your degree program.

If you need further advice, please contact the Departmental Academic Advising during its office hours, or by mail:

I would like to finally withdraw from a module in order to chose another one (later). I did not take the related examination yet. What do I have to do?

In order to withdraw from a module for which the examination has not yet been taken, you have to deregister from the exam in RWTHonline if you have registered for it. Then send an e-mail with a request to withdraw from the module concerned to the  

I would like to finally withdraw from an examination I did not pass. How does that work?

As long as you have not lost your examination claim, you can withdraw from a master module you have not passed  within your master studies. In order to do so you need to hand in an application at the Examination Board. You may register for an alternative subject in the following examination period then. The registration for an alternative subject can then be conducted in RWTHonline.

Which courses can I get credited in the module ADDITIONAL? How do I register? And how many credits do I get?

In the field of ADDITIONAL you can choose from the whole range of courses offered by RWTH Aachen University including the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology. A selection of the following topics can be individually combined (max. CP of single topics is stated).

  • Modules of the catalogues CORE and ELECTIVE of all majors as well as from the catalogue GENERAL of the Master of Science degree program Electrical Engineering, Information Technology and Computer Engineering (max. 4 CP)
  • One further lab (LABORATORY), seminar (SEMINAR) or project (PROJECT) of FB6 (Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology) (max. 4 CP)
  • Subjects from other faculties of RWTH Aachen University (e.g. Business Economics or Mechanical Engineering), which end with a certificate on the individual achievements according to the number of weekly lecture hours (SWS). These may be lectures with related exams, as well as projects (e.g. LEONARDO), labs or other formats (e.g. Soft Skill courses), (at least 4 CP, max. 12 CP). In courses with admission restrictions, a possible participation must be agreed upon by the lecturer beforehand.
  • Language courses of RWTH Aachen University Language Center
    • General rule: CP = SWS+1
    • Exception 1 = for language intensive courses with 4 SWS you receive 6 CP
    • Exception 2 = for the compulsory German language courses of 4 SWS you receive 4 CP, for the compulsory German language courses of 8 SWS you receive 8 CP.
    • Further exceptions are possible!
  • Students of all mejors have to obtain here - among ADDITIONAL - 8 CP by a certificate on German language knowledge. This has to be the one which they obtained by their DSM course and on the level of their DSM course at RWTH Aachen Language Center by passing successfully the DSM exam. In case German language knowledge of the B1 level exists at the beginning of the study program, a related certificate has to be submitted for approval by the Examination Board of the Study Program. Exempted from this regulation are students, whose mother tongue is German as well as students, who obtained their university entrance qualification or a first study degree at a German speaking institution.

The registration of subjects for the module group ADDITIONAL usually takes place directly through the chair of the lecturer, i.e. not modular in RWTHonline.

The performance in the module group ADDITIONAL is not graded. The result is "passed" or "failed". Upon successful completion, you will generally receive a so-called "Leistungsnachweis/LN" (proof of performance) which will be recorded at the central examination office (ZPA). The certificate (LN) can be passed directly to the ZPA by the lecturer or you yourself can submit the certificate in written form to the ZPA.

The credit points (CP) from one course can be calculated from the number of hours per week (SWS) attended: 2 SWS = 3 CPs, 3 SWS = 4 CPs, 4 SWS = 5 CPs, etc.

How many credits do I need in each module group?

This table shows how many credits you must obtain in each module catalogue (depending on your major).

I am going to do my industrial internship in the very near future. How can I register?

The internship should be registered at the internship office. After the internship semester, the internship certificate and the internship report must be submitted to the Internship Office.

Where can I register for the seminar pertaining to the internship?

The so-called "seminar pertinent to the internship" refers to the presentation related to the internship semester, which will generally be held at the chair/institute where the Master thesis will be written.

When can I register my Master thesis?

The master thesis can be registered as soon as you have reached 60 Credits. It is irrelevant which achievements add up to this sum. There is no deviation from this limit.

The Examination Committee has decided that registration for the Master's thesis is already possible with 52 Credits until 31.03.2022.

Students who have been admitted to the master's degree program with conditions must, without exception, provide proof of all condition subjects when registering.

How can I find a topic for my master thesis?

  • On the one hand, it is possible to find topics for a master thesis via websites of the institutes and notices.
  • Alternatively, chief engineers or assistants can be contacted for a possible topic.

I would like to write my Master thesis at another university/department/in cooperation with an industry partner. Is that possible?

The master's thesis is an examination achievement within the framework of studies at RWTH Aachen University and is usually written at one of the institutes of Faculty 6.

In exceptional cases, the master's thesis can also be completed externally in a company or at another university. The approval and supervision of a professor from Faculty 6 as well as the approval of the Examination Board of the faculty is mandatory. Without this consent it is not possible to write the master's thesis externally - there is no right for an external master's thesis.

If you wish to complete a master's thesis externally, it is your responsibility to find a professor from our faculty who will support your project. The first step towards an external master's thesis is to contact employees of the institutes of our faculty, in particular the chief engineers, and to clarify whether your project will be supported and supervised by the institute. The support of an external master's thesis is an exceptional case; the master's thesis should primarily have a share in the research projects of our faculty.

What do I have to do when I want to change my major?

You can change your field of study once during the course of your mastert's degree program. Please submit an informal application addressed to the Examination Board of your major. This form must be signed by yourself and sent to the board by postal mail, or can be handed in personally at the Departmental Student Advisory Service.

Where can I find the examination regulations for my degree program?

You will find the examination regulations for your degree program in the official announcements of RWTH Aachen University.