Currently, there is no numerus clausus (NC) for the Master's degree program "Electrical Engineering, Information Technology and Computer Engineering". However, it has limited access nevertheless, i.e., a first recognized university degree through which the necessary educational background for the Master course of study can be proven, is needed. The requirements for admission are defined in the respective examination regulations (PO). Therefore, a formal application to the Examination Board of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology is required. For different groups of applicants, there are slightly different application procedures. These are described below.
Application Routes for Different Target Groups
You are already studying in our Bachelor's degree program Electrical Engineering, Information Technology and Computer Engineering at RWTH Aachen University and want to change to our Master's degree program (ET, IT and TI)?
Also the future graduates of our own Bachelor's degree program "Electrical Engineering, Information Technology and Computer Engineering" have to apply. But in their case the professional competence doesn't need to be checked. Necessary information can be found here.
You studied at a German university or you studied as German citizen at a foreign university?
You completed your Bachelor's degree at a German university or "Fachhochschule" (university of applied science) in "Electrical Engineering, Information Technology and Computer Engineering" or in a similar German program and you would like to continue your studies with the Master's degree program. You are a foreign student with a German education. In this case your nationality is irrelevant. Or you are a German citizen and have a foreign first degree.
First step: Please fill in the online application form!
In addition to personal data and previous universitiy education we need information about how you fulfil the admission requirements in your opinion.
Second step: Prepare your application documents.
Provide the following proofs for your application:
- The evidence of your formal qualification, that is, a recognized university degree. If your final degree certificate is not available at the moment of the application, please provide a current certification of your level of preformance with a list of all completed modules and the credit point given by your university. In this case, please add a schedule with the modules that have to be completed including the corresponding credits.
- Module descriptions of the modules listed in section "4. Fachliche Vorbildung" of the application form (extract from the module catalogue).
- Your curriculum vitae with a detailed description of your educational background up to now.
- If neccessary: a proof of your German language skills for your application to the predominantly German-taught fields of study: Electrical Power Engineering, Information and Communication Technology, Micro- and Nanoelectronics, Computer Engineering, Biomedical Engineering and System Engineering and Automation.
- If neccessary: a proof of your English language skills for your application to the predominantly English-taught fileds of study: Electrical Power Engineering and Communications Engineering.
Third step: Send your application documents.
Please send your application documents by the deadline which is July 15th for each subsequent winter semester respectively January 15th for each subsequent summer semester to the adress shown in the online application form.
You have the nationality of a country outside the EU/EEA, have not studied at a German university and wish to choose one of the English-taught fields of study?
Please apply through the online application portal MoveIn of the International Office of RWTH University.
Please apply by March 1st for the following winter semester (or by September 1st for the following summer semester)*.
In a first step, your application documents will be checked formally by the International Office, e.g., regarding the status of your degree and the university in which you completed it and the required language skills.
The application documents will be internally forwarded to the Examination Board of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology for the further check of the technical qualification.
*For foreign students we do not recommend an application for the summer semster.
You don't belong to any of the target groups?
Please contact the students' advisors of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology.
After expiry of the respective deadlines the Master selection committee will meet. This committee which consists of professors and teaching assistants from the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology decides on whether and to which extent the admission requirements are fulfilled.
The following decisions are possible:
- If the admission requirements are fulfilled, this committe will determine the technical qualification and recommend the applicant's admission to the examination board. A direct admission to the Master course of study will be pronounced.
- If the admission requirements cannot be fulfilled in each single area, the selection committe, however, comes to the conclusion that a conditional technical qualifiction is given, an admission under certain conditions can be recommended. In this case, based on the study contents completed within the previous degree, it is checked whether by fulfilling certain conditions (attending lectures and taking examinations from the Bachelor's degree program "Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, and Computer Engineering") during the Master studies, a rise of the level of qualification to RWTH Bachelor's level can be achieved. Proof of the knowledge related to the condition must be given before registering for the Master thesis. The nature and extent of these conditions will be individually determined by the examination board, based on the recommendation of the Master selection committee.
- If the admission requirements cannot be fulfilled in any area or are not met in core areas in a striking way, the Master selection committee will come to the conclusion that the technical qualification for the Master's degree program "Electrical Engineering, Information Technology and Computer Engineering is not given. The examination board will pronounce a rejection.
Duration of the Admission Check
After expiration of the respective application deadline, the review of the admission requirements can take up to 6 weeks, depending on the number of applications even a little longer. The admission or rejection letter will be sent either by the the Registrar's Office or by the International Office as soon as possible.
Please be patient. Inquiries about the application status may have an additional delaying effect.
Further information about the English taught master course "Communications Engineering"
Further information about the English taught master course "Electrical Power Engineering"